INSERT FOOT IN MOUTH

By all accounts the State Attorney debate earlier this evening was a hoot.  Spirited and lively, with Chris Mancini getting rave reviews for his sensible and well thought out positions.

Satz appeared to one observer as "old and angry", and to another as "entitled".  Jim Lewis received mixed reviews, at one point getting caught by Satz in a Lionel Tate trap.  Still, the consensus of the people we interviewed means a solid third place showing for Satz, who reportedly came off to a packed audience of Black people as insulting to Elijah Williams (via an off the cuff remark), and insensitive to one of his attending minority prosecutors (awkwardly put on the spot by her boss to refute one of his opponents' claims).  Not surprisingly, the SAO's specially picked posse for the evening included many non-caucasian prosecutors, and big wigs Tony Loe, Brian Cavanagh, and Jeff Marcus

A heartening dry run for the upcoming BACDL debate.  It's a safe bet Satz will learn from his mistakes, and be more prepared next time for issues dealing with juveniles, small time offenders, double standards of justice, and police shootings, amongst others.  Still, the damage is done.  People we talked to are now willing to get behind the financially challenged Mancini and Lewis campaigns, which have had difficulty up to this point in time in getting their platforms out to the voters.

WELL DONE!

And by Jahra McLawrence, who was there:

I was very impressed with Mancini. No-one knew who he was when he arrived, but he had everyone talking by the time he left. I noticed that some of the staff brought by Satz even took notice of Mancini's sensible positions. I actually thought Satz's appearance was more professional and becoming of a prosecutor, but after Mancini began speaking, my whole opinion changed.

If the race were to be determined on intelligent, workable solutions, Mancini would win hands down, but as we know, political races usually comes down to who has more money and can get more visibility. I'll do my best to help Mancini, but wouldn't it be great if other attorneys would reach down, find their balls, and do what they know is right? Yeah, I said it!

Sorry Bill, but I can't give Lewis any credit at all. He was pitiful. He finished last. When he wasn't commenting on what a good job Satz had done, he was busy telling the crowd that he was a Republican. Really? Are you serious?

I think it was a slip of the tongue - but in response to a comment that Judge Williams had commented that 25% of the cases before him should never have been filed, Satz seemed to imply that Williams was a dumb ass as a prosecutor. No, he did not use the words - that's why I said imply.

Most of you know me, so if you have any comments on my comment, don't be cowardly - identify yourself. My comments are based purely on what I observed tonight. It was a packed, standing room only event. Kudos to Delta Sigma Theta and the Urban League of Broward County!

(posted as a comment @ 12:34 AM on 6/29/12)

BBeat: Judicial Candidate’s Father Was Murdered In Sensational Case

BBeat: Dale Ross Roasted By Newspaper

Bob Norman: Ilene Lieberman's Tea Party debacle

• No trackbacks exist for this post.
Comments
  • 6/28/2012 11:25 PM Here Comes Cavalry wrote:
    When does Joey Eggs return?
  • 6/28/2012 11:41 PM Anonymous wrote:
    Now it's obvious to all Ron Ishoy is wildly underpaid at 100 grand a year.
  • 6/29/2012 12:34 AM Jahra McLawrence wrote:

• 6/29/2012 2:12 AM Anonymous wrote:
    Jahra, Really? Are you serious? : “Lewis was pitiful because he was busy telling the crowd that he is a Republican”. I didn’t hear Mancini tell the Black crowd that he (Mancini) is a recently switched Democrat, who supposedly now is enlightened. Guess he didn’t have the “balls” … as you put it.
  • 6/29/2012 7:09 AM Anonymous wrote:
    Foot in mouth? Don't you mean hoof?
  • 6/29/2012 7:37 AM WHODAT wrote:
    I heard of some dude named FJ, but who's this "Jahra" guy?
  • 6/29/2012 7:41 AM Anonymous wrote:
    I thougt Jim did very well
  • 6/29/2012 7:43 AM OMG wrote:
    OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Satz is not going to get the black vote? Oh man that was unexpected. I mean in a primary election with nothing on the ballot for blacks to vote for, that is HUGE! They will come out in droves. With all that Mancini is doing to court the single family homes, the condos and other Democrat base. Oh wait he has done nothing to court these groups except go to only gay and black events.
  • 6/29/2012 7:44 AM Anonymous wrote:
    Odds are Satzie will be a no show at Bacdl. He's got nothing to gain and everything to lose by proving the old saying "better people think you're an idiot than to open your trap and prove it."
  • 6/29/2012 8:01 AM Dead Dan Futch wrote:
    Mike Satz makes a lot of sense.
  • 6/29/2012 8:22 AM Anonymous wrote:
    Satz insulting Elijah?
    What a POS.
    Williams served our country.
    Satz is a low life POS.
  • 6/29/2012 8:34 AM Jahra McLawrence wrote:
    I think, like most people in the audience, Satz thought he would win the debate handily. But when Mancini explained a few workable proposals such as zone prosecutors (similar to NY where city leaders could contact their zone prosecutor), implementing a dwls system similar to Miami-Dade, and making the pre-trial diversion program less cumbersome and difficult to enter, Satz sat up a little straighter in his chair. But by then, the damage was done because Mancini came prepared and had a plan. I'm not sure if this was the 1st debate for the state attorney candidates, if it was, I expect that Satz will be much more prepared next time now that he knows that at least one of his challengers is coming with concrete, sensible ideas.
    To be slightly more specific, the comment Satz made about Judge Williams was that he wished Williams was as smart then as he is now. Again, I don't think he meant it with malice, I think he just fumbled that statement and it came out wrong, but the crowd did not like it at all.

I've heard that minorities historically don't vote in primaries, but I saw a pretty good turnout in the 2010 primaries. Very few people at last night's event knew anything about the state attorney (who he was, what he did, why he is important, etc...), so it was an opportunity to introduce and educate people on the position. Satz had the upper hand walking in. When I looked to view his opponents, I saw Mancini sitting in the back with his jacket off, looking a bit disheveled, reading case law. No name badge, no palm card, no support. Jim was walking into and out of the bathroom on the phone. I thought "oh boy, another four years for Satz". And then, a funny thing happened - the candidates got up and spoke and everyone was looking at each other asking (with respect to Mancini) "where'd this guy come from?" I gotta give it to the guy. He knew his stuff and he articulated very well. Satz did well too, it's just that Mancini was better. Too bad local elections aren't won on debate performance.

Alright Bill, I'll be expecting compensation for my journalistic duties.
  • 6/29/2012 9:40 AM I declare Bullschmidt wrote:
    Hey Jahra/FJ, if memory serves, in the 2010 primary, you had minority candidates for several county commission races, an African-American candidate for US Senate in the Democratic primaries, and the big to-do about the Black judges getting challengers.

I think that might have driven a bit of the minority vote in 2010.

What do you have driving the minority vote in 2012 for the August primary?

Have a great day FJ.
  • 6/29/2012 9:40 AM Dear FJ wrote:
    "When I looked to view his opponents, I saw Mancini sitting in the back with his jacket off, looking a bit disheveled, reading case law."

THanks FJ, Mancini can be a better orator than JFK but the reality is that there are not televised debates to the masses. The bottom line is that Mancini has not done one thing since he began the campaign to create an aura that he is a legit candidate. No literature? No social media? barely shows up to meetings and never talks to people one on one in a room.

By the way FJ, I hope you are not equating your success in the primary in 2010 to a big minority turn out? You know had you used the name your momma gave you Franz Jhara instead of FJ you would have never made it to the general election. I was going to ask if you ever used FJ after the election, but then I remembered when you spoke in 2010 you never even called yourself that.

You played the Ian Richards name game, the voters assumed as FJ McLawrence you were probably a nice white irish guy. It was/is a great strategy and it served you well. On the other side please dont insult everyone's intelligence trying to claim the minimal success you had was because of minority voters.
  • 6/29/2012 9:50 AM Anonymous wrote:
    This is why every incumbent needs to have an opponent every time. Like the Presidency. Debate and dialogue so racism and corruption can be stopped from thriving as it has in Broward since the swamp days.
  • 6/29/2012 11:01 AM Shameless Satz wrote:
    Where was Chief Black Guy Charles Morton?
  • 6/29/2012 11:17 AM Anonymous wrote:
    Satz used to also say uncomplimentary things anout his other former employee Chief Judge Weinstein.

Judge Williams should be honored that a man like Satz thinks he's stupid and puts him in such esteemed company with the Chief Judge.

The Chief Judge is a veteran like Judge Williams is. Maybe Satz thinks all our military is full of dimwits?
  • 6/29/2012 11:22 AM Anonymous wrote:
    How did Satz get out of military service? All his contemporaries went and fought the Japanese and the Germans. How come he didn't?
  • 6/29/2012 11:35 AM Anonymous wrote:
    at best Korean War or Viet Nam
  • 6/29/2012 11:47 AM Anonymous wrote:
    lol maybe the kaiser
  • 6/29/2012 12:26 PM Anonymous wrote:
    Satz is nothing more than a pandering and mealy mouthed opportunist. He will be easily reelected because a corrupt county like Broward needs incompetence at the top. The people who run the show want him there and that's where he'll stay until they say otherwise or he decides he's had enough.
  • 6/29/2012 12:48 PM Anonymous wrote:
    Did Mike requisition a BSO armored vehicle to take him into the hood last night?
  • 6/29/2012 12:53 PM Anonymous wrote:
    Let me guess - for the debates Satz had an African-American posing as his girlfriend?
  • 6/29/2012 12:54 PM Anonymous wrote:
  • 6/29/2012 4:38 PM Judge Bowman's Wife is New GM wrote:
    Congrats to Judge Bowman his wife was just picked as the new GM. Condolences to the other applicants, but you never stood a chance.
  • 6/29/2012 4:54 PM Anonymous wrote:
    what's her name?
  • 6/29/2012 5:02 PM Anonymous wrote:
    Who do I have to sleep with to become a Judge in the 17th Circuit?
  • 6/29/2012 8:31 PM the Queen wrote:
    I LIEberman must be on heavy doses of medication or smoking ice, take notice.
  • 6/29/2012 9:07 PM Anonymous wrote:
    Mike has no love and he questions somebody else's intelligence? How stupid do you have to be to have no love in your heart? How stupid to accuse someone who has and gives lots of love when you have made the worst decisions anyone could make in life?
  • 6/29/2012 10:16 PM oh elijah wrote:
    elijah is this generations larry seidlin, larry cried in court and elijah likes to pretend he is a drill seargent asking such important questions like what is your schools alma matta, what is your school macot, and changing his voices, seriously just act like a normal judge and stop trying to audition to become side show bob
  • 6/29/2012 10:43 PM Anonymous wrote:
    Rec'd campaign booklet from Randy Goodis today. I must say that the piece was quite impressive. He has my vote.
  • 6/30/2012 1:01 AM Anonymous wrote:
    I have to say there are much worse Jugedes than Judge Robert Diaz.
  • 6/30/2012 1:31 AM T O Evans wrote:
    After a slow road start it seems the one who people are now going to listen to except for the conspirator(s) involved in the Rothstien
    Piramid scheme here in of all places in the country BROWARD county! so SATZ didn't hear about this on his watch for how many years? But let's lock up the homeless and mental cases. Don't worry about the unreported home invasions beatings robberies rapes and thefts. The only programs for intervention help and change are a few good judges that actually go the extra mile to at least help. Mancinis change of guard dog ideas make more
    Sense for savings to the taxpayer county and visitors including a safe environment free from selective prosecution for the upper echelon including
    Law enforcement and officers of the court. I think that I'd there isn't already the US Attorneys office should investigate SATZ for his lack of
    Policing the largest billion dollar swindle in US history right here in our back yard
    His slogan "justice without prejudice" means what it sounds
    Like. And how can we progress in 2012 when the old state attorney has no community liaison assiting with our many different nationalities and lifestyles. Fort Lauderdale is marketed
    As one of the nations largest GLBT (gay lesbian black transgendered ) travel
    Location (thanks Connie FRANCIS) and yea the visitors
    Board actively advertises "where the boys are" so just as Anita Bryant was finally boycotted
    Against such ancient southern hate for anything not "normal" it is only in the best interest of the community to start being
    Proactive and not continuing with the overcrowding and overtime draining the taxpayers of un necessary people
    Clogging up the courts and county jail where they can be released from
    Custody with promises to appear. It's not like a shoplifter is going to pack up the family and relocate to the other side of the country. Violent and serious crime
    Needs to be published for prevention and safety. How about some
    Real use of
    Community service sentences reverting help into the areas here that are needed. And for judge Elijah Williams and the ten years of understanding him is that he does more for the youth that passes thru his courts than
    Most of the parents. He should
    Be a role
    Model for all with his dedication time
    And genuine care he exudes on the (un)fortunate that he offers chances and second and third chances on kids who have no other real options left to help them. I know mancini. He does what e says. You might just not like the way he says it but you can count on it. If he can pull this off I'll be sure to watch the real frauds and croons get flushed out and watch the real inside spring cleaning that will transpire. So I also say SATZ this last weekend at the gay parade in Wilton manors Stonewall event walking around with a gay defense local attorney. Seems like some
    Political drama to me. Since when did the BSA ever diversify train and conduct sensitivity courses for his office? Time
    For change people. Really
  • 6/30/2012 7:44 AM Anonymous wrote:
    Judge Diaz was rude to me in court. I hope he loses.
  • 6/30/2012 7:56 AM if you dont like Rothstein wrote:
    then say no to Julio
  • 6/30/2012 10:36 AM Anonymous wrote:
    Say no to Diaz. Vote Banks. Vote professionalism.
  • 6/30/2012 3:21 PM Anonymous wrote:
    If I read correctly, didn't it say that Jahra was the moderator of the debate? How can he with a straight face then come on here and show how biased he was against one of the candidates? What a farce. Satz may have his flaws, but I would take him 10 out of 10 times over the other candidates.
    PS Kudos to the "chicken rape" post earlier that gave me a great chuckle.
  • 6/30/2012 3:24 PM Anonymous wrote:
    I got Randy's flyer today. It's slick. Bob is definitely not winning it in August.
  • 10/17/2012 3:18 PM Fake Jahra McLawrence wrote:
    Jahra McLawrence claimed that he would do all he could do to help Mancini. Don’t see his name on Mancini’s final contributor list. Using McLawrence’s words, Jahra didn’t “reach down and grab his (own) balls”
  • 10/17/2012 3:19 PM Fake Jahra McLawrence wrote:
  • 10/19/2012 1:19 PM Fake Jahra McLawrence wrote:
    Sorry. Meant fake "FJ" McLawrence.