COURTHOUSE LOSS

Adios, Ramon ...

Ramon Grau
, recently retired Supervisor of the Court Interpreters' Office, passed away on July 9th.

A soft spoken and kindly person, Ramon epitomized the old saying "still waters run deep".

We knew him for years, enthralled by his stories of living in Boston in the turbulent 1960's, and running a salon in Hollywood that sold concert tickets to all the major venues of the day.  It was hard to stump Ramon when it came to identifying a major rock 'n' roll band he hadn't seen live.

It was just about two years ago when we bumped into him, ironically, at the Peter Pan Diner, and joined him for dinner.  It was then Ramon casually opened up about his family history, blogged here.  Despite descending from a former President of Cuba and calling the freedom fighting hero of the Pedro Pan movement "Dad", Ramon had never before let on concerning his famous lineage, or the struggles he endured caring for the transplanted family in South Florida during his father's Cuban incarceration.  Still waters run deep, indeed.

Ramon's quiet dignity is something we all can aspire to and remember.  He will be greatly missed by so many.

From an email Peter Weinstein sent last week:

It is with great sadness that I share the news that Ramon Grau passed away on Monday, July 8, 2013. Mr. Grau started as a freelance Spanish interpreter for the 17th Circuit prior to joining  the staff more than 16 years ago. He served as Supervisor of the Court Interpreter's office for the last several years. Mr. Grau retired on April 30, 2013.

A memorial service will be held on Saturday, July 27, 2013 at noon at the Science of the Mind church, 1550 N.E. 26th Street, Wilton Manors, FL 33305. Please take a moment to remember Ramon as we recognize his service to our Circuit ...

• No trackbacks exist for this post.
Comments
  • 7/17/2013 10:01 AM Jonathan Kasen wrote:
    I knew Ramon for many years. He was a very decent guy with a dry sense of humor. I was saddened to hear of his passing, I did not know that he was ill. I will remember him fondly. Jonathan Kasen
  • 7/17/2013 10:22 AM Anonymous wrote:
    Wow kasen doesn't have it in for all minorities just islanders and African Americans. Go Judge Richards
  • 7/17/2013 6:47 PM Anonymous wrote:
    He was one of the nicest people I ever met. My mother would say his grandfather, Ramon Grau San Martin, was one of the greatest presidents Cuba ever had. His easygoing manner and his p;oliteness to everyone will be missed at the courthouse. I did not even know he had retired.
  • 7/18/2013 7:22 AM Anonymous wrote:
    Ramon was a very nice man tha I came to know over the years. He'll be missed. We used to laugh about the crazy things that went on in the courthouse all the time. Rest in Peace, Ramon.
  • 7/18/2013 9:19 PM roscoe wrote:
    I saw there were only 4 comments here, and was surprised. Ramon was a great person - someone who saw "how are you?" as more than just a greeting ...

But, only 4 replies ?!! I was about to post 'where are the usual "I'll sign my name" / knight-in-shining-armor types who only come out of the woodwork when they see an opportunity to appear benevolent?

Oh, there it is ... brown nose suck-up Kasen, having to sign his name acting like "ew, what a great opportunity!" You are a tool, Kasen.

Seriously? "oh, I knew him, ..... but I didn't know he was even sick", oh, hold on - it's important that YOU KNOW WHO I AM IN THIS THREAD ABOUT RAMON (no, Jon, there is not) SO I WILL SIGN MY NAME, Jon Kasen.
  • 7/18/2013 9:27 PM Anonymous wrote:
    Jonathan, you're not judge material. Stop thinking that a judgeship will be your way to finally make a decent salary.

You lack the integrity, honesty and reputation that is needed on the bench.
  • 7/18/2013 10:12 PM Anonymous wrote:
    Since when is being a twerp not enough to be a Judge?
  • 7/19/2013 1:43 PM Anonymous wrote:
    Díos te cuide siempre, Ramón.
  • 7/24/2013 9:50 PM Shameful YOU wrote:
    How sad on a memorial page tribute to a very gentle man, Ramon Grau, there are those of you who scar the page with your insensitive childish digs to one another. I sure hope Ramon forgives you from up above - it's the closest you'll get to heaven, because the rest of us know you will end up down below. Shame on all of you.
  • 7/26/2013 8:42 AM Sandy Grau wrote:
    I am Ramon's sister-in-law. I would like to thank you for posting the nice article about Ramon but wanted to set the record straight. He died in the morning on July 9th. I am sure Ramon would have been pleased with you kind words.