"THAT'S HIS DEFENSE?"*

Miami Herald (1992)

Howard Finkelstein
has roused the State Attorney from his slumber.  The exposure generated by the Public Defender's last letter  concerning racial disparity in cannabis arrests has most definitely touched a nerve.  Check out Satz's angry response, courtesy of BrowardBulldog.comDan Christensen's accompanying article is found here.

Satz is on comfortable ground.  He loves marshaling SAO resources to persuade through statistics, a hallmark of his administration for as long as we've been paying attention.  Right or wrong, you can count on the State Attorney to back up his position with numbers, and Finkelstein certainly opened the door this time around by citing to a recent ACLU study, The War On Marijuana In Black And White.  The problem is worse in other parts of Florida, Satz says, and how dare you insult powerless little old me for not doing anything about it in my jurisdiction.

Of course Satz misses the point, or at the very least doesn't want to address it.  Instead he indulges in another of his favorite pastimes, revisionist history.

Satz writes "Concern for this problem (increased crime in underprivileged minority communities) and substance abuse issues in general, is what motivated my office to sign on to the creation of our drug courts and establish our pre-trial intervention programs. Rather than incarcerate marijuana users, the goal - regardless of race - is to facilitate rehabilitation."

Whatever his motivations or beliefs may be, the simple fact remains that while Blacks may be arrested at disproportionate rates state and nationwide, they (and everybody else) definitely have a much harder time getting out of the system in Broward, with or without a clean record, than anywhere else in South Florida.

Think about it.  As Gisele Pollack points out in the BrowardBulldog article, Satz hasn't agreed to allow all cannabis arrests to be directed to her misdemeanor drug court.  There still isn't DUI or felony DV diversion here, and the late arrival DWLS program is so draconian in admission and completion requirements that five year, felon creating HTO suspensions still result with alarming frequency in Broward courts.  Compare to neighboring counties where driving charges can be dropped or quickly changed with relative ease, and where a wide range of cheap shot felonies like Battery on a Leo can also be diverted, to see how Satz's stated commitment to rehabilitation really plays out.  Then, to top it off, ask why cocaine residue and single pill possession cases are filed as felonies in Broward, or why the SAO never offers withhold & one day on some 893 cases like they do in Miami.

It's not a novel theory that Satz is out of touch, and has been for a very long time.  He may not understand the implications of having a criminal record, even if only a misdemeanor.**  He may not believe it's his job to consider the root causes of the increased crime in underprivileged minority communities he writes about when setting office policy, or his role in helping perpetuate it.  But to absolve himself of all responsibility and accuse Finkelstein of being "disingenuous" for pointing out his personal failures is just plain wrong.

The vicious cycle of poverty, crime, substance abuse, and mass incarceration is a direct result of policies implemented by "leaders" whose time has come and gone.  Many, however, are still with us.  Whether blinded by fear, vanity, or the related motive of self-preservation, they are incapable of engaging in reflection and entering into meaningful dialogues to try and address even the most glaring of issues.  And if you need further proof, just read Satz's letter  one more time ...

* Howard Finkelstein, quoted by Dan Christensen.

** "Convicted defendants “normally get a fine, court costs and it goes on their record,” said Pollack. “But that will take away scholarships, and you can’t get into the military or rent some apartments or get a decent job.” (Also from BrowardBulldog)

The Drug War could be won if ...

SS: Broward reps call on state to reconsider Stand Your Ground

"I don't think it's a prosecutor's issue," (Satz) said. "I think it's a humanity issue. Life is precious ... I believe life is precious … "

Former Attorney General Buttermaker

Bob Norman: Perry Thurston welcomes investigation over residency claims (Video)

SDFL: Applications for two Federal judgeships due August 19th

LOOK AT HIM, MR. SATZ

SS: Exonerated by DNA; Frank Lee Smith's family settles BSO lawsuit

"Smith wept on the witness stand during the penalty phase of his trial, imploring jurors to believe he was innocent.

"For me to be turned around and be accused, the way I feel about a rape," he told them. "My mama was killed like this. ... How do you think I feel about a rapist, and beyond that a baby?" ...

(Attorney Mike) Wrubel renewed calls for the U.S. Department of Justice to investigate Broward's "sorry history" of wrongful convictions from the 1970s and 1980s, and the DNA exonerations of Smith, who was sentenced to death, and Jerry Frank Townsend and Anthony Caravella, who were sentenced to life in prison. Smith was mentally ill, and Townsend and Caravella were both mentally challenged.

Not only were the wrong men locked up and robbed of many years of their lives, but more victims died because detectives allowed Mosley's serial-killing spree to continue, said Wrubel ... "

The SAO is haunted ...

PBS: Requiem For Frank Lee Smith

• No trackbacks exist for this post.
Comments
  • 7/19/2013 8:10 AM Anonymous wrote:
    Poor Mike. Nobody sees the knight in shining armour he sees in the mirror. I'm just doing my job Mommy! And why are all my friends leaving?
  • 7/19/2013 9:13 AM not broward wrote:
    Like Ellison really cares. She's got more important things to do like getting her nails done than to concern herself with her members of her community.
    When's she's not doing that she's hiding in her office and avoiding any phone calls eccept the ones from her girlfriends telling her about a shoe sale.
    What's all the hoopla? Now two more Broward officials that can't read stats the same way? Not in this county !!!
    Just one of the reasons it's the way it is here.
    Two different realities: One for poor minority communities and no real leadership on their behalf like Ellison and Thurston, and one for corrupt politicians that no matter what they do, they don't get charged with anything and are allowed to continue to milk the taxpayers till they die of natural causes ! Go figure!!!
  • 7/19/2013 9:41 AM Anonymous wrote:
    Funny how all the high profile corruption cases went tits up after the election was over.
  • 7/19/2013 10:02 AM Anonymous wrote:
    Mickey Rocque circa 1992 in the Herald picture!
  • 7/19/2013 10:40 AM Anonymous wrote:
    License plate data not just for cops: Private companies are tracking your car

• 7/19/2013 11:04 AM Anonymous wrote:
    Fire off another letter. Alot of hot air and nothing gets done. Amazing.
  • 7/19/2013 2:36 PM AngryOldLady wrote:
    He is in that office way too long. The democrats that came out to vote for Obama did not bother to do any other research, they just voted democrat on the ballot across the board. So, we are stuck with this ugly, sick, wicked man for GOD ONLY KNOWS how long!
  • 7/19/2013 3:38 PM Anonymous wrote:
    Dear Mr. Satz,

Would you kindly retire to allow someone else a chance?

Signed,

Everybody
  • 7/19/2013 4:34 PM Anonymous wrote:
    SATZ IS A PHONY SATZ IS A PHONY
    SATZ IS A PHONY SATZ IS A PHONY
    SATZ IS A PHONY SATZ IS A PHONY
    SATZ IS A PHONY SATZ IS A PHONY
    SATZ IS A PHONY SATZ IS A PHONY
    SATZ IS A PHONY SATZ IS A PHONY
    SATZ IS A PHONY SATZ IS A PHONY
  • 7/19/2013 6:12 PM If ya can't beat em wrote:
    Since Howard and Judy stern failed miserably running Chris mancini against Satz it is back to letter writing. Yeah Howard that's the ticket
  • 7/19/2013 6:25 PM Anonymous wrote:
    If Mike had kids he would have a clue.
  • 7/19/2013 10:13 PM Anonymous wrote:
    The state ruined my life. I hate them.
  • 7/19/2013 10:30 PM Rag Arm wrote:
    Satzie hangs a lot of curves. He's better off not responding.
  • 7/19/2013 10:42 PM Cherry Picker wrote:
    Satzie cherry picks his trials. Mr. Personality would have his hands full with any randomly assigned 3rd degree felony. Reminder - a hard working 3rd can't commander half the office to prove his case. Good luck Mikey.
  • 7/19/2013 10:55 PM wake up wrote:
    Mr. Satz doesn't make the arrests that put these people under the bus.
    Maybe Mr. Finkelstein should be addressing letters and developing a dialog with the Sheriff's Office.

In a town where it takes 4 cops cars to pull over an 80 year old lady for rolling through a stop sign, it doesn't surprise me that when they're not at Mr. Donut they would be cruising minority neighborhoods looking for some easy arrests to make!
  • 7/19/2013 11:51 PM Real talk... Hate that term wrote:
    I'd rather live in Broward than Miami Dade... Bc of the level of violence crime. I watch the news every night and think to myself "Dade is the Wild West with all their violence." If Satz makes Broward safer as it seems he has, I can only support him. Price otherwise that you would rather live in Dade and do live in Dade, then maybe I'll listen. Love my home in safe Ft Laud
  • 7/20/2013 7:38 AM not so wrote:
    I can understand the dissatisfaction we all might have with the disparity that exists in arrests, but Satz isn't the problem. Your dissatisfaction is misplaced. If you want to blame an office for doing a poor job, take a look at the way the various police departments treat people of color when it comes to law enforcement.
    There's a very good reason Michael J. Satz is still SA. If other elected officials did as good a job, we might not have all the junk that piles up here in Broward.
    It's a disgrace the way they hold office and do next to nothing. When they do, the only thing you can really count on is them doing something that's in their own best interest and not the citizens of Broward.
    Mike Satz does not appear to be one of those people. Keeping the streets safe here is an overwhelming job. I think he's done a very good job.
    And incidentally, you can't make this a black or white racial argument. When they break the law, they should go to jail. I'd rather have them incarcerated than out on the street.
  • 7/20/2013 12:03 PM Green Bagman aka Pixie wrote:
    I would like to personally thank all those that have congratulated me on my recent promotion to LT. I think it goes without saying that I could not have done it without the help of people like State Attorney Mike Satz, ASA Donnelley, and certainly—the master of whitewash ASA Shulson. I cannot count how many times you covered for me. I owe you. Too bad Rothstein still does own Jackson’s Steakhouse or Bova's—because I would see that you got a free drink like me. I have to say without their concerted efforts through the years to repeatedly help cover up my long history of repeated perjury and civil rights violations—this would have never been possible. Wow! I look back and it seems just like yesterday, I admitted to lying in a deposition. Boy does time fly. Oh! And I cannot forget the littlest, big man on campus, Capt. Rick Maglione. He is the master of the wordsmithing—the way he can take a documented admission of perjury and twist that into a simple “training deficiency” or “being unprepared for Court” is truly amazing, an absolute art form. You were right, no one ever told me or taught me I cannot lie in a deposition. Heck, in the academy I being so full of crap, I must have been in the restroom when they covered that topic. Frankly this Ginger had no idea that my hand in the air and the words “I solemnly swear to tell the whole truth and nothing but the truth so help me God” had any real meaning. Wow! Who would have thought! Rick from the heart-- a lot of people owe you their Careers—including me. I think I can speak on behalf of just a few of the other, Sgt. Ferrer, Sgt. Fuller and many others that you have helped through the years. I don’t care that the Public Defender’s office caught you red handed falsifying official records-- You Da Man! I also cannot go without mentioning my boy FFFrank! Let’s give it up for the Chief. Don’t ever under estimate this man—he may be a cigar smoking, ladies’ man; he may not honor and keep his marital oath to his wife, but he is a man of his word to his boys. It brings a tear to my eye—I still recall like it was just yesterday, when I was dolling out hundreds of thousands of dollars in stolen Ponzi scheme cash like it was candy to the masses. I recall getting cold busted working for Rothstein while on duty—my bad “I forgot what days I work”; serving as a body guard; serving as a personal driver for Ms. Daisy; coordinating numerous protection details; going to brunch with the Rothstein crew; wild hot tub parties on the yacht; participating in the law firms 401K, while they sold pot right out of the same firm; receiving a well-deserved gratuity of beautiful diamond for my lovely POA Wife—“The pride of FLPD and the Ft. Lauderdale’s Fire Department.” I might not be the first—but I got her boys! I recall talking to Frank—while he denied ever giving me permission to serve as a body guard/driver—at least he did not get me for that perjury. He was absolutely there for me, like I was there for
  • 7/20/2013 12:08 PM Green Bagman aka Pixie wrote:
  • 7/20/2013 12:30 PM Anonymous wrote:
    Dade is much safer than Broward because the State knows how to prosecute violent criminals:

• 7/20/2013 1:42 PM Anonymous wrote:
    Don't waste any ink with the truth. The SAO trolls blogs like this to put propaganda about being safe in Broward. It's not safe here. Everybody knows it. It's the capital of murder and home burglaries and half the burglaries in Palm Beach are committed by Broward crooks the SAO let go.
  • 7/20/2013 2:43 PM Back in the day wrote:
    I am soooo mad at you I am going to get my quill and ink bottle and send you a disparaging correspondence.... Said Ben Franklin and help me Howard.

Howard, I am no Satz fan but he kicked your boy mancini's ass in the primary and Lewis in the general by over 70%. Wake up Howard, no one in the community gives a rats ass about your whining. You are as relevant as a quill and bottle of ink. Step aside and let the next generation like Gordon Weeks run the show.
  • 7/20/2013 2:44 PM Back in the day wrote:

• 7/20/2013 4:38 PM Anonymous wrote:
    yea ishoy gets over 100k
  • 7/20/2013 9:42 PM nevergiveup wrote:
    Even Finklestein is out of touch--Satz is an American horror---not only do convictions screw up one's entire life--but the false, fabricated, fraudulent contrived convictions by Satz amplifies this sanctimonious pig even further.
  • 7/21/2013 7:46 AM Anonymous wrote:
    Could it be he's proud to have ruined Caravella's life? Is that why he doesn't apologize like an honorable man would do?
  • 7/21/2013 7:49 AM Anonymous wrote:
    ISHOY RONALD N Salaried Full Time
    PUBLIC Information OFFICER

02/08/1999

$101,314.32

• 7/21/2013 8:17 AM Det D G wrote:
    I would like to personally thank all those that have congratulated me on my recent promotion to LT. I think it goes without saying that I could not have done it without the help of people like State Attorney Mike Satz, ASA Timothy Donnelly, and certainly—the master of whitewash ASA David Schulson. I cannot count how many times you covered for me. I owe you. Too bad Rothstein still does own Jackson’s Steakhouse or Bova's—because I would see that you got a free drink like me.
    Oh! And I cannot forget the littlest, big man on campus, Capt. Rick Maglione aka Jockey or Silks. He is the master of wordsmithery—the way he can take a documented admission of perjury and twist that into a simple “training deficiency” or “being unprepared for Court” is truly amazing, an absolute art form. You were right, no one ever told me or taught me I cannot lie in a deposition. Heck, in the academy I being so full of crap, I must have been in the restroom when they covered that topic. Frankly this Ginger had no idea that my hand in the air and the words “I solemnly swear to tell the whole truth and nothing but the truth so help me God (sometimes)” had any real meaning. Wow! Who would have thought! Rick from the heart-- a lot of people owe you their Careers—including me. I think I can speak on behalf of just a few of the other, Sgt. Ferrer, Sgt. Fuller and many others that you have helped through the years. I don’t care that the Public Defender’s office caught you red handed falsifying official records-- You Da Man!
  • 7/21/2013 8:21 AM Det D G wrote:
    He was absolutely there for me, like I was there for him. Wink, wink, nod, nod --Code Blue-- cover for me and take one for the team in the Rothstein Investigation and some day you will be LT. God those words sounded so good. I have to say, he honored his word. I just hope I can live up the fine FLPD leadership expectation so that other can learn to emulate my rise to power. P.S. We will never give back the stolen $394,000.00 + tips of cash earned on our Rothstein Ponzi Detail, City of Fort & Fort Lauderdale Police Department approved. P.P.S. Special thanks to Mayor Jack Seiler & Commissioner Bruce ”Chardonnay” Roberts. Last but not least Scott W. Rothstein and the most beautiful woman in the world Kim.
  • 7/21/2013 8:37 AM Det D G wrote:
    "the most beautiful woman in the world Kim." We will see about that, maybe a conjugal visit or ..............FRANK oh yea FRANK mmmmmmmmmmm
  • 7/21/2013 9:48 AM Public Safety Second wrote:
    Ishoy makes more than ASAIC Neva Rainford Smith?

No wonder morale is so low.

Satz is too lazy to do anything including talking to reporters. He needs to pay Leads under 50 thousand a year so he can pay Ishoy 101 thousand?

Satz could hire two more experienced prosecutors for 101 thousand. Or he could give ten deserving lawyers ten thousand each.

No wonder everybody quits.
  • 7/21/2013 1:29 PM Anonymous wrote:
    Even Miss Havisham adopted a child, Mike.
  • 12/2/2013 1:11 PM bid and win wrote:
    Every election is a sort of advance auction sale of stolen goods.
  • 12/2/2013 1:31 PM browardweirdgirl wrote:
    has anyone else have a a bad expeience with cracker Judge Spurlin